On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of SOLAS Safety Radio, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of SOLAS Safety Radio, is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course provides a general overview of the SOLAS requirements concerning radio communications and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).
Whom the course is for
The course SOLAS Safety Radio is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the requirements established by the SOLAS Convention concerning radio communication on board ships and offshore units. This may include Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Offshore Units Operators and Technical Staff, Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; Etc.
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Know the requirements concerning radio communication equipment on board ships and offshore units.
- Understand the GMDSS functional requirements.
- Understand the means required for GMDSS tests and drills on board.
- Know the requirements for EPIRB, radio lifesaving appliances and sources of energy for radio communication equipment.
Safety radio surveys and certification
GMDSS functional requirements
- Land and satellite communications
- Functional requirements while at sea
- Distress urgency and safety radio communications
- Sea areas
- Maintenance of radio installation
- Maintenance of satellite EPIRB
- Maritime safety information
- Equipment to be provided on board
- Core installation
- Inmarsat EGC
- Satellite EPIRB and VHF EPIRB
- Search and Rescue Transponder (SART)
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
- Two-way VHF radio-telephone
Main, emergency and reserve sources of power
Automatic battery chargers
Uninterrupted power supply (UPS)