On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of Propeller and Shaft Installations, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of Propeller and Shaft Installations, is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course provides general information on the ship’s propulsion system and its main components, the Rules’ requirements for design and survey of propeller and shaft installations, the requirements and methodology for the assessment on board of shaft alignment, and an overview of tailshaft survey requirements.
Whom the course is for
The course Propeller and Shaft Installations is aimed at anyone interested in getting familiar with the ship's propulsion system. This may include: Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; Etc.
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Know the main propulsion shaft components.
- Understand the design requirements for propellers and propeller shafts.
- Get familiar with the arrangements and installation on board of propellers and propeller shafts.
- Understand the main requirements for shaft alignment.
- Understand the survey requirements for propeller shafts and other propulsion systems.
Main components of propulsion shafting
Design and construction of propulsion shafting
- Rules requirements
- Shaft alignment software
- Documentation to be submitted
- Lubrication system
Arrangement and installation – Shaft alignment
- Alignment calculation
- Shaft alignment sighting
- GAP and SAG method
- Bearing loads
- Alignment checking after chocking
Material tests, workshop inspections and testing, certification
- Classification requirements
- Propeller types
- Geometry of propeller
- CPP control system
- Arrangement and installation
- Testing and certification
- Survey schemes
- Scope of surveys for traditional propeller shafts
- Scope of surveys for other propulsion systems