On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of Personal Safety on Board Ships, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of Personal Safety on Board Ships is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course provides an overview of the general hazards existing on board ships, the appropriate protective equipment to be worn, the precautions to be taken before entering a confined space and other dangerous situations.
Whom the course is for
The course Personal Safety on Board Ships is aimed at anyone working continuously or occasionally on board ships. This may include Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; etc.
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Know the general principles and the hazards existing on board ships
- Get familiar with the different personal protective equipment and their applications
- Understand the hazards related to confined space entries, and the precautions to be taken
- Know the precautions to be taken about the various dangerous situations likely to be found on board ships.
Risk control structure
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Protection of the head
- Protection of eyes and face
- Respiratory protection
- Protection of the feet
- Hearing protection
- Protection of the body
- Protection against fall from height
- Protection of the hands
- Other safety equipment
Safe boarding of ships and offshore units
General precautions while working on board
- Slips, trips and falls
- Internal inspections
- Fire & explosion
- Hazardous materials
- Air quality & Oxygen rate
- Main points of attention
- General precautions
- Entry permit
- Rescue attempts
- Particularly dangerous spaces
Other dangerous situations
- Use of rafts or boats for inspections
- Working at height
- Pressure tests