On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of Introduction to DP Systems, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of Introduction to DP Systems is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course provides a general introduction to dynamic positioning systems, which are computer-controlled systems that automatically maintain the vessel's position and heading by using their propellers and thrusters.
Whom the course is for
The course Introduction to DP Systems is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the design and operational principles of Dynamic Positioning Systems and their main components. This may include Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Offshore Units Operators and Technical Staff, Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; Etc..
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Get familiar with dynamic positioning systems.
- Know the main components of dynamic positioning systems, equipment used and installation.
- Know the Class requirements in terms of surveys and tests of dynamic positioning systems.
Characteristics and scope of DP systems
System configuration: power system, thruster system, control system, position reference systems, computer system, display system
- Redundant systems
- System failures
- Redundancy concept
- Single fault tolerance
Essential non-DP systems
- Power system
- Thruster system
- DP control system
- Position reference system: acoustical, taut-wire and other reference systems
Scope of DP surveys
- Inspections at works
- Surveys during construction, tests and trials
- Surveys during operation: Annual and Renewal surveys, operational test, Occasional surveys