On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of Introduction to Class and Statutory Surveys, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of Introduction to Class and Statutory Surveys, is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course describes the classification and statutory certification processes and provides an overview of the class and statutory surveys.
Whom the course is for
The course Introduction to Class and Statutory Surveys is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the classification and statutory certification processes. This may include: Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; Naval Architects; Marine Engineers; Etc.
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Understand the classification process and get familiar with classification terms, definitions and rules.
- Understand the process of Statutory Certification and get familiar with Statutory Certification terms.
- Know the scope of Classification and Statutory Certification.
Module 1 – Classification
- History of classification
- History of Bureau Veritas
- Classification Societies and IACS
- Scope of classification: Classification tasks, responsibilities of other parties, classification certificate, request for intervention, surveyor's intervention, operation and maintenance of ships, flag and port state control inspections
- Classification notations: Class symbols, construction marks, service notations, navigation and operating area notations, additional class notations
- Classification process: Assignment of class for new buildings, classification after construction, class reassignment, maintenance of class
- General principles of surveys: Survey procedure, definitions, survey preparation and conditions for surveys, terminology
- Survey types: Class renewal surveys, other periodical surveys, occasional surveys
- Suspension and withdrawal of class
- Scope of surveys: Annual surveys, intermediate survey, class renewal survey, bottom survey, tailshaft survey, boiler survey
Module 2 – Statutory Certification
- History of statutory conventions
- International conventions: SOLAS, COLREG, Load Lines, MARPOL, AFS, BWM
- Recognitions and authorisations
- IMO RO Code
- Statutory surveys
- Periodicity of statutory surveys
- Survey findings
- Types of statutory certificates
- Issuance of statutory certificates