On completion of the training program, the student will be awarded:
→ A Certificate of Cargo Gear and Lifting Appliances, issued by Bureau Veritas Solutions Marine & Offshore.
The Certificate of Cargo Gear and Lifting Appliances, is obtained after completing the course and passing the online test.
This training course aims at providing a general description of the different types of lifting appliances that may be found on board ships and offshore units, their main characteristics and operating principles. It provides an introduction to the applicable rules and regulations related to lifting appliances.
Whom the course is for
The course Cargo Gear and Lifting Appliances is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the requirements for lifting appliances installed on board ships and offshore units. This may include Ship Managers, Technical Superintendents, Ship Masters, Officers and Seafarers; Offshore Units Operators and Technical Staff, Shipyards Technical Staff; Surveyors; P&I and/or Insurance Inspectors; etc.
On completion of the training, students will be able to:
- Get familiar with the various types of lifting appliances installed on board ships and offshore units.
- Know the regulations, which are relevant for inspection and certification of cargo gear, including international regulations and BV Rules.
- Understand the particularities of lifting appliances and the relevant requirements for the survey of materials and equipment.
- Understand the scope of intervention for Cargo Gear in various stages – design, manufacturing and operation, including an overview of control and safety design requirements.
Types of lifting appliances
- Derrick systems
- Typical crane types
Applicable Rules and Regulations
- International Regulations and National Requirements
- Bureau Veritas Rules, additional class notations and recognized standards
- Bureau Veritas services
- Cargo Gear Register Book
Design, Inspection, testing and surveys at works
- Design acceptance criteria
- Documents to be submitted
- Inspection and testing
- Steel wire ropes and fibre ropes
- Loose gear
- Survey of fitting on board
- Overall tests prior to putting into service: Mandatory tests, overload test, testing at
- Manufacturer’s test bench, inspections after testing
- Periodicity, scope and documentation
- Guidelines for a thorough annual examination
- Items to be tested: slew bearing, loose gear examination, ropes, hydraulic system
- Control and safety devices
- Thickness measurements, wear limits and criteria for replacement